The House In The Mountains

The House In The Mountains
by Tori Duckworth A/B 6/10/2015


I looked back on the moment to say it might have been one of the greatest moment of my life. It brought me closer to the place almost more than anywhere else. The sky was starry and dark. The trees big and scary, but the house was the most weirdest of all.      
The house was a dirt color and looked like a brown rock with windows, not kidding. The windows for the basement where caked in dirt, the stairs to the door looked unsafe. I looked away not wanting to look at it any more. Just thinking about it made me sick.  I sighed in disgest, this was the place we were staying for the weekend? How horrible. I thought miserably unbuckling. All I want to think about now is Mass, Lynnfield and home.  New Hampshire is the worst.
“Ugg.” I said, swinging open the door.
All of a sudden a cool breeze that smelled of pine washed over me. Calming my thoughts and my tension.
My dad called me and my sister saying “Abbie, Tori can you help us unload the bags they don’t unload themselves you know.”
I walked over a little less disgusted.
Once we had hauled all the bags up the steps and as my dad fumbled for the keys and I took the chance to look around a bit more  at our weekend house. It was on a road that was not normally taken. Then I smelled the air it was fresh like no other. Next I noticed how the trees were like a cocoon around us surrounding us with nature.
I asked mom “What’s that?” I said pointing to a big bush.
“Oh.” Mom paused. “A blackberry bush sweetheart.”
Yum I said to myself, maybe nature is ok. I walked in, pawsed to take of my shoes and then I looked up.
One big airy room with the dining room, kitchen, and living room all in one. The kitchen tiles were gleaming from the sunlight streaming through the window. The dining room table was polished very nicely so it was incredibly smooth. The living room took up half of the gigantic room. There was a soft, squishy, brown couch that looked like I would die in it. A T.V. was placed in the corner with multiple chairs grouped around it. A small shelf with all of my mom and dad's climbing books on it. A desk with a computer sat not to far from the T.V.  A gigantic fan was placed on the sloped ceiling. Many windows were scattered around letting in most of the light. I was afraid my eyes were going to pop out of my head it was a lot to take in at once.
“You know, this house was very old when we got it.” Mom announced.
But it seems so new! maybe it’s just new to me, a new beginning a new place to love.  
I headed down stairs and glanced around there were five doors Mom pointed to the first door on my left and said, “That’s your guys room!”
I was still not sure how I felt about this place, the house was weird and it was all the same stuff, trees, rocks, grass, and flowers.  I walked in with my bag and peeked in there were two antique bunk beds! I clambered on top of the farthest one and looked down and gasped the bed was about 4-6 feet of the ground. Wow I thought, maybe it’s not so bad after all.
“MOM!” I say.
“WHAT?” She calls back not being able to hear me.
“COME HERE!” She walks into the room and I hug her
“This is the best place ever!” I tell her “The best!”
She said calmly “That’s not all!”
Now that’s enough to get me excited, trust me.
She brought me back up stairs to a view I was too busy to notice. It overlooked the tall trees making the the foggy peak of Mt.Washington stand tall above them all. The winding roads and rivers all over the plains before it, it was spectacular. Now this is it the real deal!
“Come outside!” she calls.
I turn and run out of the house. The trees the grass the flowers all seemed to be a part of me. The smell was overwhelming, the rustling of branches and the tweet of birds made me sigh of happiness. This is where I belong, this is the part of me that was missing. A new beginning in a place that's been on earth forever. Freedom and quiet places to just think, Fresh air and clear skies, tall mountains and rolling hills, snow caps and rocky cliffs. This is the home in my heart even now it shapes my dreams and hopes of the future in a better Earth a better place for me and you.

In this piece I worked hard on making my heart of my story really work and stand out why its a important to me. 

Next time I should check my work for spelling mistakes and grammar so some parts make more sense and people don't misinterpret them.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Abbie/Abner letter